portage vs yum

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jun 28 02:15:53 UTC 2007

Thufir <hawat.thufir <at> gmail.com> writes:
> thanks for clarifying.  This is getting close to naysaying, but I'd
> prefer more packages, easier to upgrade from fedora N to N+1, than
> integration.  My personal preference.

Then I'd say you picked the wrong distribution. There are distributions out
there for people with your preferences, you cited one already (Gentoo), why do
you want Fedora to change to suit you?

I believe the integration work done in Fedora is essential, it's no use having
thousands of packages if 10% of them don't run at all (because they used to
work when they got submitted, but changes in libraries broke them, or worse,
because they weren't tested at all due to "quantity over quality" mentality),
20% have bugs due to e.g. expecting files to be located in different places
than they actually are in the distribution, half of them only work if you pick
some specific USE flags or library versions which break the other half etc.
Now, the actual numbers of problem packages in Gentoo might be much lower than
that, but all those problems do exist in Gentoo or any other loosely-integrated
distribution. The less integration work a distribution does, the worse the mess
you end up with gets.

        Kevin Kofler