RFE: Use generic names in packages

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 29 02:54:45 UTC 2007

Hi

A recent discussion in EPEL about whether README.Fedora would be
confusing to EPEL users has brought into forefront what I consider a
good packaging guideline for Fedora to follow which is to avoid using
the "Fedora" name as much as possible in package names and files with
exceptions like "Fedora directory server" and recommend using generic
names wherever possible.

This would certainly help in being a better upstream for distribution
and other efforts that are based on Fedora including RHEL, EPEL or OLPC.

In this specific instance I believe the guidelines should be mandating
README.distribution instead.

Refer to
https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-June/msg00064.html
for the discussion.