Installation order of basesystem, filesystem and setup.

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Fri Mar 2 15:33:19 UTC 2007

Hi folks.

During the review of basesystem we came upon a rather interesting fact
which some might already have seen and wondered about.

The packages basesystem, filesystem and setup have a rather odd and not
necessarily intuitive dependency order:

basesystem Requires: filesystem setup
filesystem Requires: setup
setup Requires: (nothing)

So the final install order after properly ordering those is:

setup
filesystem
basesystem

which imo is exactly the opposite of what i'd expect. Take the
description of basesystem e.g. where it explicitly says:

"Basesystem should be the first package installed on a system, and it
should never be removed."

And for filesystem:

"Filesystem contains the basic directory layout for a Linux operating
system, including the correct permissions for the directories."

So imo the order should be:

basesystem
filesystem
setup

Currently the way to get basesystem always pulled in (and thereby
filesystem and setup) is by having a:

glibc Requires: basesystem

Now the question is, do we just keep it this way and ignore the fact
that those 3 packages are installed in the wrong order (without actually
affecting anything as they are installed even before glibc) or do we
want to fix it?

The simple fix would be to turn around the requirement order and let
glibc require setup instead:

glibc Requires: setup
setup Requires: filesystem
filesystem Requires: basesystem

Any thoughts?

Read ya, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch      | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Development          | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111