Fedora safe/recovery mode

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Sun Mar 4 07:36:11 UTC 2007

Bernardo Innocenti wrote:

> Other distros ask for the root password, but I prefer the Fedora way.
>
> Rationale: if I can tell grub to boot in single-user mode, then I
> can also edit the kernel command line to add "init=/bin/bash" and
> skip the password prompt altogether.
>
> If you want the local console to be secure, you'd need to set
> a bios password, grub password, disable floppy/cdrom boot and
> probably also lock the case so it can't be tampered.

We just have to make sure that we don't end up with an easy way in,
presented right there in the grub menu... You can choose another stanza
to boot from grub without the password, but with the password set, you
cannot set init=/bin/bash.

There's a thousand other ways to gain access once you're at the machine,
but we should not make it that easy.

/Thomas