VNC development plan - discuss

eric ericm24x7 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 01:16:23 UTC 2007

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> Since we're on the subject of VNC servers, its a good time to bring up the
> question of virtualization. With Xen in the mix there are actually 2 further
> VNC server implementations in Fedora...
>
>    - Xen para-virtualized guest console server
>    - QEMU / KVM / Xen fully-virtualized guest console server

> The caveat is that AFAIK, Fedora doesn't have any VNC viewer program that
> supports encryption aside from SSH tunnelling - not a huge problem since
> virt-manager has an embedded GTK VNC widget which can do the job, but it
> would be nice to have a standalone viewer for virtual machine consoles.
>
> So if we're thinking of long term Fedora VNC development plans, we should
> make sure encryption / authentication is on the list for both client &
> server.
>
> Regards,
> Dan.

Here is an actual command line I use regularly to properly bring up a
remote VNC viewer securely through VNC:

ssh -p 6603  -f  -L  7763:localhost:6063   adm3 at 192.168.3.203   '
vncserver -kill  :164 ; vncserver :164  -localhost -name v40 ;  sleep 5
' ; sleep 5 ; vncviewer  localhost::7763

An average joe six pack user will probably never be able to grasp, let
alone remember and type such a command, just to bring up a remote viewer.

I'm sure simplification/integration of some sort would be welcome by
many users.

eric