announce: readahead-1.4

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Wed Mar 7 17:55:35 UTC 2007

At 1:52 PM +0100 3/7/07, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
>Hi.
>
>On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 07:49:52 -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:
>
>> Seems like this newfangled flash crap is better used for journaling.
>>
>> Flash disks are generally slower than a sequential hard disk access.
>> They're definitely slow for writing. I dunno WTF microsoft is
>> thinking.
>
>Flash does not have seek times, which is a big plus for speeding
>up the boot process.

Microsoft already addressed that issue in WinXP, which has fancy hooks to
the disk defragmenter so that there isn't much seeking when booting WinXP
(it does take several days until the defrag happens).  So I agree with
Callum, and also dunno WTR MS is thinking.

Probably readahead adopting what MS did in WinXP would be most effective
but would also violate the most MS patents, as well as requiring hooking
into the filesystem rather more than is wanted.  Something like UnionFS
might work without patent issues, if it could use a file instead of a hard
partition.