A few ideas.

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 07:12:48 UTC 2007

> > 3. A "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade" combination for YUM and a
> > 'refresh package information' for Pirut, so that the package
> > information is updated only when explicitly stated by the user.
> > However I do not know whether this is already available in YUM (and
> > Pirut) or not.

> yum makecache doesn't do what you want?

Thanks for the attention. The YUM 3.0.3 manual page in Fedora Core 6
merely mentions 'makecache' and does not document it. A combinaton of
'yum makecache' and 'yum -C' does do the job.

Even then:

a. Why is this not the default behaviour? Is it not natural enough for
people to maintain a cache locally, that -C should be the default
behaviour?

b. After creating the local cache using 'yum makecache', I still find
Pirut takes a while to show the package list. It first opened up the
'browse' tab (first from left), which had no package list, and on
clicking the 'view' tab (third from left), it again took a while
(almost 30 seconds) to display them. Funnily everytime I switch tabs
and come back to 'view' it again takes a while. Once it even got
stuck, ie. the HDD became idle and for almost 1 minute I had the
message box saying "reading package information", after which I killed
it.

Am I missing something here? Synaptic would just display the packages
in a jiffy, even with APT-RPM on a Fedora Core 2.

Happy hacking,
Debarshi
--
GPG key ID: 63D4A5A7