RANDR 1.2 heads up

Tomas Janousek tjanouse at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 13:16:35 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 09:27:17AM +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> How does one actually do this? Do I have to configure the monitors
> in xorg.conf, or are they autodetected? What program do I use to
> tell xorg to turn the monitors on and off?

Using the xrandr command. For example, a command
    xrandr --output VGA --mode 1024x768 --pos 0x800
will add the external monitor below my laptop panel.

But you may have to configure a separate Monitor section for the external
monitor to be able to use modes other than those from the LVDS, which is done
by a line in the Device section:
    Option "Monitor-VGA" "name of the monitor"

--
TJ., BaseOS, Brno, CZ