Thread Hijack - Our package management GUI tools need improvement

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 17:35:32 UTC 2007

Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> 6. Download needed packages.
> 6. Depends on the size of the packages to be downloaded, network
> bandwidth and the how fast the mirrors are.

Two things could improve package downloading...

1) apt-get can download packages in parallel from multiple mirrors.
This doesn't help everyone, but it does help in many cases where your
personal bandwidth is much larger than the limited rate from a single
mirror.

Could this be implemented as a yum plugin?  I dunno.

2) Ahmed Kamal has been working on a potentially sane implementation of
deltarpm for Fedora's yum.  Theoretically, it would work as an optional
yum plugin.  If the deltarpm is substantially smaller than an RPM
update, then the deltarpm is provided on a mirror.  If the deltarpm is
not provided, then yum downloads the original RPM instead.  If it
downloaded a deltarpm, it reconstructs the original RPM and uses GPG to
verify integrity just like yum would verify plain RPM downloads.

Ahmed probably could use some developer and testing help.  I've been
encouraging him to be more communicative about his project in order to
get more help, but I haven't seen any further outreach lately.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com