yum-deltarpm (Was Thread Hijack - Our package management GUI tools need improvement)

Ahmed Kamal email.ahmedkamal at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 9 19:18:46 UTC 2007

Since Warren blew up my cover, please find more details at the project's
hosted page :)
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/presto
As mentioned presto tries to be a sane implementation of a delta rpm update
mechanism
The "GuideLines" part, describes replies to common failures in previous
implementations, and why people thought presto was a bad idea

A delta rpm update mechanism also enables fedora to issue faster/smaller
updates consisting of mainly translation/documentation updates as has been
recently requested.

Progress has been a bit slow, mostly because my boss is keeping me busy, but
as Jonathan mentioned, testing is what's mostly needed now! Basically, I'm
thinking instead of just calling for testers, we can setup some sort of a
regression which would setup a FC6 machine with out-dated packages. Run
prelink on that machine (This has been causing us some pain). Then use
yum-drpm to update the machine, and record any failures ... if it seems
well, go ahead with public testing. What do you guys think?

And since this is the yum bitching thread, when I switched from ubuntu to
fedora, I thought yum was molasses! Now, I've mostly forgot how fast apt-get
was!