User directories integration - request for help

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Mar 16 12:45:30 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 10:05:24AM +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> What happens is this:
>
> First time you log in, directories will be created based on the current
> locale and pointers to them will be created in the file
> ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs. We also record the locale used in a separate
> file.

I really dislikes the idea that directories are created at login time.
Couldn't it be possible instead to have them created when needed and use
the names and locales recorded in ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs for the default
name?

> The second time you log in we will only create directories specified in
> the defaults file that are not listed in your ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
> file. (So, you'll get new default dirs.) Directories specified in your
> config file that has been removed will be changed in the config file to
> point to $HOME.

It seems to me that there is too much magic in this...

> If you log in a second time in a language different than the original
> one you will get a dialog asking you whether you want to move to the new
> locale, with a list of what would change if you did. Then you can pick,
> yes, no, and "never show me this again".

I think this is unavoidable, but this should only be done with existing
directories.

--
Pat