User directories integration - request for help

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Mar 16 18:10:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 19:26 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 00:01 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 01:38:00AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > >
> > > If there are real practical reasons just cite that specifically.
> >
> > The use home directory shouldn't have non dot files (or directories)
> > used by the applications.
>
> Because we like to leave the user alone with the task of organizing his
> data, music, documents, etc ? To force them to learn something about
> filesystem organization and application configuration before they can
> use their systems ?

+1

Especially once you toss internationalization into the mix, this is all
turning in to a giant gob of over-complex hacks that overshadows any
benefit. KISS. If the user wants folders, they can make them themselves,
in whatever language they want. Make all apps default their file
selectors to the last directory used in a sane manner.