User directories integration - request for help

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Mar 17 10:10:35 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 09:46 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le samedi 17 mars 2007 à 00:50 -0400, David Zeuthen a écrit :
> > On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 05:35 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > > I say: Alex, Matthias wake up and take off your shades. You are going to
> > > commit something "stupid"!
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > I say: They missed the lack of usefulness, because they are too focused.
> >
> > So the developers from the desktop projects and the distros (e.g. the
> > people who participate on xdg-list) are all wrong and stupid because
> > they want this feature and you don't? I think we can end this thread...
>
> The people on xdg-list are not stupid
Note: I never said they are stupid - I said they are "going to commit
something stupid".

>  but they are GUI devs and they
> tend to forget a lot of things on a *nix system is not GUI stuff.
Exactly.

As I see it, they are simply too focused/too close to GUI's and probably
to keen on imitating WIN features, such they tend to forget about other
aspects. E.g. networked $HOME's, user/machine/site-wide
defaults/configuration, system integration, runlevels etc.

Ralf