User directories integration - request for help

Baris Cicek baris at teamforce.name.tr
Sat Mar 17 20:03:05 UTC 2007

I could not find where to post this, so sending over here.

I changed Alex's xdg-user-dirs application to make it using symlinks
instead of actual directories. Maybe it's something in vain but just
wanted to put my solution into a prototype so as to be tested. (Maybe
someone like it).

Actually using symlinks give better handling of localization than using
--force. It does not touch directories, so can be considered
theoretically more secure.

I've also changed handling of user-dirs.dirs which make it possible to
use CUSTOM_DESKTOP_DIR, so that this directories are never touched.
Currently user-dirs.dirs is used to store old localized directories, so
that left-over symlinks don't exist.

Actual files are to be stored in (.desktop, .download, etc.) so they are
hidden. If it's necessary, packages can use those directories without
worrying about internationalized names.

It removes symlinks using unlink, so that it's impossible to delete
directories (no risk of losing actual data).

Some parts are dirty hack, and I could not follow coding style of the
Alex, but I did not want to spend much more time about it, keeping in my
mind that this kind of usage is not decided.

Anyways, I've attached patch against v0.0.1 of xdg-user-dirs. (I figured
out new version exists but was too late :() Hopefully it's enough to
show approach this way.

I'd be happy to hear about comments on it.

And here's the real thing;
http://www.gnome.org/~alexl/xdg-user-dirs-0.0.1.tar.gz