Filesystem-local databases in mlocate

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Sun Mar 18 11:11:27 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote:

>> If I understood it correctly, every locate search would read the files on the
>> remote volumes, right? The performance will suffer a bit I think. For example,
>> NFS over 11mbit wifi is fine, but waiting tens of seconds for the database to
>> download isn't good. Probably a global locate cache db that merges all the
>> fs-local ones would be nice.
>
> Perhaps the remote .mlocatedbs could be cached based on size and timestamp?

Linux NFS always has had very poor performance wrt local filesystems, but
adding another layer of complexity in updatedb to overcome the limitations
of NFS over slow links is inappropriate.

The NFSv4 spec allows very aggressive client-side caching.  Recent kernels
with cachefs may even use local files for backing store.  This general
solution should speedup most usage patterns without the need to add
specialized caches to all applications.

--
   // Bernardo Innocenti - Develer R&D dept.
 \X/  http://www.develer.com/