kernel config question

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Sun Mar 18 23:27:09 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-18 at 15:40 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 21:10 -0400, Louis E Garcia II wrote:
> > Any reason why CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED is set? Which user land bits
> > still need this? Is work being done to eliminate the need for this?
>
> Hopefully. It's causing oopses. We should ideally have bugs filed for
> anything in userspace which needs it.

See the message on lkml and linux-wireless with the subject:

Recent wireless breakage (ipw2200, iwconfig, NetworkManager)

It actually has nothing to do with NetworkManager, but the problem is
that gregkh's patch broke HAL in ways that only an as-then unreleased
version of HAL could cope with (and possibly other stuff).

Root cause was that the patch gregkh landed was faulty.  See his mail
with this subject and the date of "Tue, 6 Mar 2007 12:05:37 -0800
(15:05 EST)".  The patch removed the 'device' link
from /sys/class/net/XXX/ directories, which means you simply cannot
match up the class device with the hardware it actually is, which is
wrong & bad.

Dan

-----
Can you try the patch below?  And enable CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED.  It
should cause HAL to see the network devices again, as the symlink is now
back (it shouldn't have gone away, that was my fault...)

I tried this with HAL 0.5.7, which is pretty old, and hal-device-manager
shows my network devices properly.

thanks for your patience,

greg k-h
-----