User directories integration - request for help

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 08:49:56 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 13:35 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > Again providing defaults for these applications doesn't take away your
> > ability to customize anything. We have continued to adopt several ideas
> > from other operating systems if that makes sense and that is a good thing.
>
> It seems like those folders are created automatically when user logs in.
> That's what I dislike. If they are defaults for 'save' actions in every
> apps, fine. If they are created and used automatically, I think it isn't
> right.

This would limit the use of these dirs to "automatic setting of default
dir" only, and only for applications that use a specific version of the
fileselector with specific APIs. It won't e.g. let you to have nice
default bookmarks, nor would it work instantly with all applications.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a short-sighted alcoholic cop haunted by an iconic dead American
confidante She's a warm-hearted bisexual politician with an evil twin sister.
They fight crime!