User directories integration - request for help

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 09:11:09 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 18:16 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> There is one thing worse than not taking i18n in consideration that's
> botching your i18n implementation. I for one am deeply attached to i18n
> due to my personal background. And I'd rather wait a few weeks/months
> for a proper solution that have a semi-broken hack that will be set in
> stone as soon as a release goes out with it.

A few weeks? The english-on-disk or translations-on-disk flamewar has
been going on for at least five years.

> <rant>
> I don't want a windows-like i18n where my filesystem is polluted with
> several translations of the same directories because someone made a
> hasty partial implementation.

Those would be from buggy applications that should be fixed. Since when
do we cater to buggy applications enought to go with a worse solution.

> For once I'd like people try to get it right from the start on, not
> pretend it's an experiment that will be corrected later. The Desktop
> team does no have a good track record admitting its mistakes, especially
> once it managed to shove them through people's throats.

I like it when we think something is right we are arrogant, but you're
obviously not arrogant when you think our solution suck ass and yours is
perfect.

I'm well aware of the pros and cons of the solutions, having discussed
them on and off for many years. No solution is perfect, but I have
picked the one I think is best.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a maverick pirate boxer with a passion for fast cars. She's a radical
cigar-chomping journalist from out of town. They fight crime!