User directories integration - request for help

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Mar 19 09:53:49 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 10:19:47AM +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> That would limit the use of this to "default fileselector directory" for
> applications that have that hardcoded.

Apps using special directories have to be changed too. What is
complicated in adding to fileselector an argument like 'pictures' to
use a given default directory?

> There are other uses too, like
> default bookmarks (in file manager, file selector, etc).

They could create the directory when the user click on the icon?

> I'll also say (and I know some people will hate me for this) that I
> think a lot of unexperienced users will like having some initial
> structure to their homedirectory. Experienced users can set it up how
> they want (and do!), but unexperienced users are unlikely to start their
> experimenting with a new OS by setting up a homedirectory structure.

Unexperienced users don't want something specific. Except if you think
that what unexperienced users want is what is in windows.

Adding something (non dot file or dot dir) in the home directory is
bad design, especially when there is another solution.

> > > The second time you log in we will only create directories specified in
> > > the defaults file that are not listed in your ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
> > > file. (So, you'll get new default dirs.) Directories specified in your
> > > config file that has been removed will be changed in the config file to
> > > point to $HOME.
> >
> > It seems to me that there is too much magic in this...
>
> Whats magic about it. There isn't really a first-time/second-time
> version of the code of course. We just create directories that haven't
> been added to the config file yet.

How can you do 'Directories specified in your config file that has been
removed will be changed in the config file to point to $HOME.' without
something magic?

> How could you do it with non-existing directories? I'm not sure what you
> mean.

In the 'created by fileselecor proposal' only the directories already
created would have to be moved.

--
Pat