User directories integration - request for help

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 11:13:16 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:40:39AM +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > Many dirs will be created at first login anyway (Desktop, Templates,
> > maybe Public), and others will be created as you go. Seems very similar
>
> Why should those dirs be created?

To make life feel better for new users, to give them default locations for
things like downloads that are best kept seperated. And for a new user who
doesn't like them coming to an otherwise empty desktop it is trivial to
remove them if they don't like it, or rename them.

Doing it to an existing user is I guess more controversial.