User directories integration - request for help

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Mar 19 11:58:41 UTC 2007

Le Lun 19 mars 2007 12:13, Alan Cox a écrit :
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:40:39AM +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
>> > Many dirs will be created at first login anyway (Desktop, Templates,
>> > maybe Public), and others will be created as you go. Seems very
>> similar
>>
>> Why should those dirs be created?
>
> To make life feel better for new users,

>  And for a new user who
> doesn't like them coming to an otherwise empty desktop it is trivial to
> remove them if they don't like it, or rename them.

That's the argument that was used to justify every app dumping its icon on
the desktop. I have little doubt as soon as we start pre-creating stuff in
home every app writer will feel justified in putting his helpful junk in
there too. (bittorent is one example)

Opt-in is better than opt-out. What's wrong with just-in-time creation ?
If the user never start an app that could make use of those bits, what's
the point of pre-creating them (nautilus is not a user, it's a desktop
tool)?

Do you really believe a user will create a huge music collection before
launching totem/rhythmbox/sound-juicer once? That will only happen if he
imports a huge pre-existing archive, which won't use the pre-created
hierarchy anyway.

--
Nicolas Mailhot