Filesystem-local databases in mlocate

Miloslav Trmac mitr at volny.cz
Mon Mar 19 22:51:19 UTC 2007

Hello,
Axel Thimm napsal(a):
>> * locate(1)'s default database is not just /var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db;
>>   mlocate also checks each mounted filesystem for a .mlocate/mlocate.db
>>   file, owned by root or the invoking user, and not writable by anyone
>>   but the owner.  Such files are automatically added to the database
>>   path.
> locate should also include .mlocate/mlocate.db a previous updatedb has
> found and skipped. E.g. if updatedb detects a .mlocate/mlocate.db in a
> folder in its path it skips it and registers it for locate to use.
This would make a difference only for "subdirectory-local" databases
within a filesystem.  I can't think of a reason why they would be necessary.

> Perhaps that way you can even save the explicit mentioning of
> --single-fs paths in /etc/sysconfig/mlocate. If a paths is to be
> handled as such the admin just creates an .mlocate folder and updatedb
> and locate automatically pick it up.
I'd prefer a more specific administrator action;  otherwise just
extracting an archive could unintentionally add a mlocate database and,
in the worst case, double the updatedb overhead.
	Mirek