too many deamons by default - F7 test 2 live cd

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 00:47:57 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 15:29 -0700, Ian Burrell wrote:
> On 3/19/07, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 15:21 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > > portmap.
> >
> > Not enabling this means that trying to do an NFS mount hangs
> > mysteriously.
> >

> It would be nice if there was dependency support between services.
> nfs or ypbind or other RPC server would depend on portmap.  The ideal
> would be portmap always started before the services that needed it
> even when doing "/etc/init.d/nfs start".  Less ideal would be for
> chkconfig to enable portmap when a service that required it was
> enabled.

That doesn't help
  mount server:/path/to/export /local/place
which is pretty common to expect to work[1]

Jeremy

[1] I still see semi-regular bug reports/questions about the need to use
-o nolock when mounting nfs from the chroot in %post with kickstart. :-/
I really don't want to see the questions then also for _all_ cases of
doing NFS mounts.