Yum-presto (deltarpms) ready for testing.

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 17:43:08 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 19:17 +0200, Leszek Matok wrote:
> This one is strange:

>  Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
> Updating:
>  bittorrent *            noarch     4.4.0-5.fc6      extras             59 k
>  bittorrent-gui *        noarch     4.4.0-5.fc6      extras             15 k
>  lucidlife *             i386       0.9.1-2.fc6      extras             90 k
>
> Transaction Summary
> Install      0 Package(s)
> Update       3 Package(s)
> Remove       0 Package(s)
>
> Total download size: 164 k
> Is this ok [y/N]: y
> Downloading Packages:
> (1/3): bittorrent-gui-4.4 100% |=========================|  15 kB    00:00
> (2/3): lucidlife-0.9.1_0. 100% |=========================|  90 kB    00:03
> (3/3): bittorrent-4.4.0_4 100% |=========================|  59 kB    00:02
> Rebuilding full packages from deltas
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in ?
>     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 172, in main
>     base.doTransaction()
>   File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 419, in doTransaction
>     problems = self.downloadPkgs(downloadpkgs)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 706, in downloadPkgs
>     self.plugins.run('postdownload', pkglist=pkglist, errors=errors)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/plugins.py", line 153, in run
>     func(conduitcls(self, self.base, conf, **kwargs))
>   File "/usr/lib/yum-plugins/presto.py", line 174, in postdownload_hook
>     raise PluginYumExit("Error rebuilding at least one deltarpm.  Please run report this error to\nhttps://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/presto/newticket.  To bypass this problem, run yum \nwith the --disablepresto option")
> NameError: global name 'PluginYumExit' is not defined
>
> Notice the part "lucidlife-0.9.1_0.". Next time (1 minute later, no
> repository metadata was updated) it was different:
> (1/1): lucidlife-0.9.1-2. 100% |=========================| 723 kB    00:24
> And the update went okay. It looks to me like a deltarpm repository
> breakage combined with some strange logic in Presto that made it
> download a file with another name that it wanted.
>
> Oh, and there's no /var/log/presto.log.
>
> Lam
Okay, first an explanation:
Presto works by checking to see if there is a deltarpm update available
for each package.  When there is a deltarpm available, it then checks
what's called the "deltarpm sequence" against your system to see if the
deltarpm will apply cleanly.  If the deltarpm will apply cleanly, it
then changes certain package information, in this case to
lucidlife-0.9.1_0.9.1-2.fc6_1.fc6.i386.drpm.  Yum then proceeds to
download the drpm (thinking it's the rpm).  After yum downloads all the
packages, presto kicks in again and reassembles the rpm from the drpm,
and reverts the package information back to the original.  And, finally,
at the end, it writes out statistics to /var/log/presto.log.

So, what has happened here is that the lucidlife drpm looked like it
would apply cleanly the first time around, but, after being downloaded
didn't apply cleanly.  A bug in the code gave you that ugly error rather
than the "nice" error message it was supposed to...I'll fix it in 0.2.8,
which should be out in a half-hour or so.  The second time your ran it,
it realized there was a problem and downloaded the full rpm.

I would really love to know if you've done anything with lucidlife,
changed any files before upgrading to the latest version?  It would help
me work out why we hit this error in the first place.

Jonathan