Presto logging

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Tue Mar 27 04:59:57 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:

> It's relying on mirrors to use OUR script to mirror content though, and we
> can't count on A) they'd use our script instead of whatever else they're
> using to sync other data, B) they're even using a host with bash/sh on it.

That's what I find so good about this solution. True, you'd need to do
something extra to comply with the "mirroring protocol", but there is NO
need for special mirroring scripts. It's all about putting a timestamp
in a plain text. No need for special mirror scripts and it's easily
doable on every single platform that I can think of. We should not
provide any custom tools to perform this sync IMO, but supply a fedora
mirroring howto, outlining what should be done. Mirror admins are then
free to choose what ever sync tool/protocol he'd like, to perform the
actual sync (rsync, ftp, cifs, nfs, <fav sync method here>), as long as
he remembers to put a simple date in a file, when he's done.

/Thomas