hplip: hp-toolbox advertising?

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 07:10:57 UTC 2007

On 3/27/07, Thomas M Steenholdt <tmus at tmus.dk> wrote:
> (disclaimer: i'm not actually using the hp software...)
>
> But, the whole analogy to looking a gift horse in the mouth is somewhat
> mute here, wouldn't you say? Just because corp XYZ throws a pile of
> software at the open source community, doesn't mean we have to embrace
> it if we don't like it. This is not a gift from anyones grandma, but
> from a manufacturer that just wants an easy to use toolset for linux
> users. The cause is noble enough, but if the software is less than
> ideal, which it appears to be in this case, we are free to choose to do
> whatever we want with it.

In general I agree with you, but the problem is we lack an alternative
package offering the same (or similar) features. In this case,
removing hplip results in someone not being able to work OOTB with its
multifulction printer, which is not the best thing we could do.

I think the best thing is to ship it as is (eventually adding a Fedora
specific icon to fix the problem raised by the original poster) and be
sure to pester upstream for a more SANE approach...

/me goes disabling hplip from each machine in the office