hplip: hp-toolbox advertising?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Mar 27 20:28:03 UTC 2007

Once upon a time, Bernard Johnson <bjohnson-dated-1172832473.ba5e95 at symetrix.com> said:
> Also, for example. CUPS admin page has the "Easy Software Products"
> logo, and a link to the "Pro" version of the product and the companies
> home page which has products for sale.  Is this ok?

IIRC the MySQL initial setup script advertises that MySQL.com sells
commercial licenses.  Is someone going to go through and "audit" for
this kind of thing?  What are you going to do - remove such messages?
That is kind of rude to the people working to provide software freely.

I have HP laser printers both at home and at work, and this discussion
is the first I had heard of the HP tools.  I just checked them out, and
they look useful for HP users.  What is the objection?  Every other app
(at least GUI apps) gets a menu entry, and that includes an app-chosen
logo/icon.  Why is this one any different (as long as the image license
is suitable)?

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>