kernels oops - bug report

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Thu Mar 1 13:22:46 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 12:59:24AM +0100, Axel wrote:
> Hello
> I d like to report a kernel oops, but I don't know how to catch the
> kernel log.

I highly recommend using serial console capturing for this.  On the
crashing machine, use this on the kernel command line:

console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0

and on the serial-connected capture machine, run minicom or my
favorite, ttywatch, which writes everything it sees on the serial
ports into a logfile.  (ttywatch's advantage over minicom is its ease
of setup - a simple well-documented config file, and it can capture
arbitrarily many serial ports at once - e.g. my Digi 64port serial box
as easily as it does a single serial port.

In our lab, our machines-under-test are almost always attached to one
of the Digi serial ports, so if/when we do crash them, we've got the
data immediately - we don't have to try to reproduce it again just to
get the capture data.

Thanks,
Matt

--