[Fedora-i18n-list] Re: naming scheme for fonts packages?

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Fri Mar 2 06:58:22 UTC 2007

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> A general font like DejaVu does lao, arabic (better support is waiting
> on better opentype support pango & qt-side) aboriginal canadian
> syllabics, armenian, greek, cyrillic so I don't think the "western only"
> qualifier applies.

Ok I don't know how many glyphs dejavu currently supports.
But there is no coverage for CJK for example and CJK fonts are huge.

> You just need to get people to work together, doing a
> whole unicode block is no harder within an unicode font than within a
> specific font (in fact it's easier since you don't have to redo latin
> like all the asian fonts do now)

True.  I am all for it in principle.  Not sure if everyone wants to have
truetype fonts each over 30MB in size installed by default.  It would
certainly stop me having to worry about how we can have good
international font coverage installed by default in Fedora. :)

> That's the logical next step. It feels like putting kmail and evolution
> in the same "MUA" package though. Can't you get by with a "Tibetan
> support" comps group instead ? It will work with font packages crossing
> langage boundaries, not force users to install every single font for one
> langage (and in CJK countries that weights quite a lot), allow you to
> follow two separate upstream release schedules, etc.

Those are good points.

Jens