Fedora safe/recovery mode

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 09:20:01 UTC 2007

On 3/3/07, Hikaru Amano <kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > AP> Seems like it would be advantageous to have a boot target that
> > AP> goes to runlevel 3 all the time.
> >
> > Add "3" to the kernel boot parameters, the same way you'd add "single"
> > or "s" to boot to single user mode.
> >
> > If you feel the need to have an actual grub entry for this, it's just
> > a few seconds with an editor in /etc/grub.conf.
> >
> >  - J<
>
> I think he suggesting a default entry for that in a fedora
> installation .. eg: a grub option with the title "Recovery Console"
>
> but then .. if the user know how to use the "Recovery Console" ...
> supposedly he/she should already know how to change the init in grub
> ... however, there still exist some special people with special cases
> :) ..
>
> /my 2cent

Not necessarily. Often, peopel trying to fix their machine via
following a tutorial or instructions from an IRC member: trust me, it
can take quite a few lines of instuctions to direct a newbie from
their BIOS's POST to getting into GRUB to append the '3' and booting
that. Infact it may even be more troublesome than the few commands
they will need to enter (since they need only type in what they are
told).

Peace

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud