Fedora safe/recovery mode

Brian Wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Mon Mar 5 13:34:24 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 10:01 -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:

> > > As long as Grub and the BIOS are not protected with a password by
> > > default, we do not need to discuss this....
> >
> > Does grub have a "secure" flag you can put in a stanza to require grub
> > to prompt for a password?  That would solve the security concern.
>
> Answering myself:
>
>  -- Command: lock
>      Prevent normal users from executing arbitrary menu entries. You
>      must use the command `password' if you really want this command to
>      be useful (*note password::).
>
>      This command is used in a menu, as shown in this example:
>
>           title This entry is too dangerous to be executed by normal users
>           lock
>           root (hd0,a)
>           kernel /no-security-os
>
>      See also *Note Security::.
>

> under *Note Security*:
>
>    Also, you can specify an optional argument to `password'. See this
> example:
>
>      password PASSWORD /boot/grub/menu-admin.lst
>
>    In this case, GRUB will load `/boot/grub/menu-admin.lst' as a
> configuration file when you enter the valid password.

What's the chances of a user remembering this password if they've
forgotten the root password?  If its set to a default then everyone
knows it anyway and there's no used to having it in the first place...

The idea (elsewhere in this thread) of having a recovery root (which
would probably be a busybox based system) on /boot is a good one, but it
shouldn't have a password either, just a really "stern" warning not to
do something stupid like, say, remove shared libraries.

Brian