Kernel 2.6.19 squashfs problem and bugzilla

Phillip Lougher phillip.lougher at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 16:06:47 UTC 2007

Olivier Galibert <galibert <at> pobox.com> writes:

> The kernel from kernel-2.6.19-1.2288.fc5.x86_64.rpm is not able to
> loop-mount the fc5 install Fedora/base/stage2.img file, at least
> through nfs.  You get:
>   squashfs: version 3.2-alpha (2006/12/12) Phillip Lougher
>   SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed reading block 0x9e8be8e1
>   SQUASHFS error: unable to read inode lookup table

What version of mksquashfs generated that Squashfs image?  NFS support
was experimental before the 3.2 release, and was work in progress
during the alpha releases.

If the mksquashfs is 3.1 or before then the necessary information to
export via NFS wasn't generated.  The 3.2-alpha release should not have
been trying to read the inode lookup table if it didn't exist, but a
bug existed where it tried to do this for 2.x and older filesystems.
However, it should not be trying to do this for a 3.0 or 3.1 filesystem.

> As for bugzilla, I was wondering where to file that one, would it be
> bugzilla.redhat.com or bugzilla.fedora.us?

Squashfs bugs should come to me, as I'm the author, and ultimately the
one that has to fix it, if it is a bug.

> And if the latter, is it
> going to actually work any time soon?  I don't think I've ever been
> able to contact it.

NFS works in the current 3.2 releases.

Phillip