What applications do people use?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 07:21:11 UTC 2007

On 3/5/07, nodata <lsof at nodata.co.uk> wrote:
> Please can you make it less work for us and add the feature to that
> hardware profile sender thing?

uhm... smolt would need to be drastically redesigned to make that
possible. Since application use is a per-user statistic, and smolt is
designed for per operating system stats which does not leak personal
information. I'm pretty sure its a bad idea to have smolt track per
user activity. I have no problem with smolt being available by default
as an opt-in service at install time, if its only tracking hardware
information. I'd have a pretty serious problem with it being a default
opt-in service that tracked individual user activity.

If you don't want to sign up to mugshot, don't. But since this
'service' is tracking individual users, then it definitely need to be
a 'service' that individual users MUST register for to participate. As
an admin for multi-users systems, I will fight you tooth and nail to
keep this sort of 'service' as a per-user registration required opt-in
entity.

-jef"wtf can't mugshot support online services I actually use.... and
how the frell do I request the mugshot maintainers to add support for
specific individual services?"spaleta