VNC development plan - discuss

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 09:33:33 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I did thinking about next development on vnc bits. Fedora 7 has three
vnc servers - GNOME's vino, KDE's krfb and headless Xvnc with module to
X. I'm not sure that we really need three different vnc servers in
distribution. krfb and vino are very simillar. Both of these export real
display. I think we could try substitute this two servers by one - for
example x11vnc (http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/). x11vnc has more
features than actual "real desktop" servers. So two programs could be
removed and one added => cost of maintaining and bugfixing could be
lower. In next stage we could discuss about standardized RFB protocol
library which could be used by all vnc servers in distro. In the end we
could have one rfb library which will be used by all servers (and
viewers), one real server, one virtual server and X module. What do you
think about this idea?

Regards, Adam