VNC development plan - discuss

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 12:23:33 UTC 2007

Mark McLoughlin napsal(a):
> On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:33 +0100, Adam Tkac wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I did thinking about next development on vnc bits. Fedora 7 has three
>> vnc servers - GNOME's vino, KDE's krfb and headless Xvnc with module to
>> X. I'm not sure that we really need three different vnc servers in
>> distribution. krfb and vino are very simillar. Both of these export real
>> display. I think we could try substitute this two servers by one - for
>> example x11vnc (http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/). x11vnc has more
>> features than actual "real desktop" servers. So two programs could be
>> removed and one added => cost of maintaining and bugfixing could be
>> lower.
>>

> 	vino and krfb have different goals and UIs that are designed to be well
> integrated into their respective environments. I don't think merging the
> two makes any more sense than e.g. merging evolution and kmail because
> they both talk the SMTP protocol.

I don't think that integrating to specified environment is useful in
this case. In my opinion kde & gnome use same xserver with same policies
so vino and krfb (and x11vnc) is more about xserver than about specific
UIs. This is main argument why could be these programs merged to one. It
is very easy write simple GUI with two buttons - "start remote desktop"
and "stop remote desktop" - which could works under gnome and kde and
other window managers.

>> In next stage we could discuss about standardized RFB protocol
>> library which could be used by all vnc servers in distro. In the end we
>> could have one rfb library which will be used by all servers (and
>> viewers), one real server, one virtual server and X module. What do you
>> think about this idea?
>>

> 	A common rfb server library would definitely be useful, yes.
> libvncserver should be it, but it needs serious re-factoring before we
> could ever hope for API/ABI stability.
>
> 	Indeed, a common library between vino and krfb could do a lot more -
> e.g. the screen scraping and keyboard handling.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark.

I think this issue is about discuss which current RFB interface has best
API design and about write simple binding to this interface (in first
stage, then upstream could start using this library and all could works
fine)

Regards, Adam