VNC development plan - discuss

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 14:32:48 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 04:33:33 Adam Tkac wrote:
> I did thinking about next development on vnc bits. Fedora 7 has three
> vnc servers - GNOME's vino, KDE's krfb and headless Xvnc with module to
> X. I'm not sure that we really need three different vnc servers in
> distribution. krfb and vino are very simillar. Both of these export real
> display. I think we could try substitute this two servers by one - for
> example x11vnc (http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/). x11vnc has more
> features than actual "real desktop" servers. So two programs could be
> removed and one added => cost of maintaining and bugfixing could be
> lower. In next stage we could discuss about standardized RFB protocol
> library which could be used by all vnc servers in distro. In the end we
> could have one rfb library which will be used by all servers (and
> viewers), one real server, one virtual server and X module. What do you
> think about this idea?

As others have stated, you should move forward with the VNC you wish to
support, and we'll try to make sure it is marked as default in the right
groups and be the only vnc included in the spins.  However the other vncs can
remain in the distribution if there is a willing maintainer and if they don't
have any conflicts (file conflicts) with the other VNC software.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora