What applications do people use?

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Tue Mar 6 15:20:10 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 07:56 +0100, nodata wrote:
> Am Montag, den 05.03.2007, 19:06 -0500 schrieb Owen Taylor:
> > If you're interested, sign up for Mugshot and add your own statistics.
>
> I don't want to signup for yet another thing (!)
>
> Please can you make it less work for us and add the feature to that
> hardware profile sender thing?

Certainly if the goal was just collecting application statistics, doing
it with the Mugshot client is probably overkill.

But the global application-statistics tracking is really just a
side-effect of larger things we are trying to do with Mugshot / client
interaction; just in the area of application browsing and launching
we are thinking about features like:

 - Automatically have launchers for a user's most frequently launched
   applications; even when they first create an account on a computer.
 - Synchronize application launching preferences among multiple
   computers.
 - Show you what applications are used among your friends (maybe... not
   sure if this is interesting yet or not)
 - Have the ability to comment on applications or recommend alternate
   applications.

Many of these only make sense in the context of an account.

We've tried to keep Mugshot signup as lightweight as possible ... for
example, the default sign-in is *only* by emailed link; we don't ask you
to set a password as part of the initial setup, though you have the
option of doing that later if you want.

There is also some possibility of some sort of single sign-on between
Mugshot and the Fedora services like the wiki or the account system,
possibly using OpenID.

					- Owen