Translations: String freezes, CVS converging, Packaging

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 17:22:45 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 11:58:33 Karsten Wade wrote:
> Can we look into automating this in some fashion?  Not for F7, but for
> releases following?  Or is that not necessary?

I'm usually against any sort of automated non interactive package builds,
especially for something that will land in the collection for release.
Notifications can be sent out and there could be tracking of build status,
but the actual build should be done by the maintainer or co-maintainer.

> > > ## CVS convergence
> > >
> > > Right now translations are done on `i18n.redhat.com`. This requires
> > > contributors to have one account on the Fedora Account System (FAS) and
> > > a different one for translations. With the merge of Core and Extras,
> > > now is a good point to get rid of this distinction.
> > >
> > > The plan is to move all PO files on Fedora infrastructure under a new
> > > CVS group (cvsl10n) [3]. An email will be sent to all translators to
> > > create a FAS account if they don't have one and join the cvs group.
> > > Members of the L10n team and ambassadors will help with this process.
> > >
> > >   [3]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/Projects/CVSInfrastructure
> >
> > Does this also include moving the actual source that's hosted on
> > elvis/i18n?  If not, then I have very strong concerns...  separating the
> > source code from the translations has a lot of downsides as it requires
> > a manual sync between the two.  And these never work well :(
>
> Sorry for my ignorance, but which source?  The PO files?  Or something
> more?

The source for the application that the PO files go with.

> The goal here is to stop using elvis.rh.c for the Fedora Translation
> project.  If Red Hat's l10n team needs elvis for their work, then they
> need to work out how to sync back from cvs.fedoraproject.org.
>
> To state it more clearly, we are trying to move the PO files to the
> source code (in cvs.fedoraproject.org).  Your comment makes it sound
> like the PO is already with the source?

There are many projects that use elvis as their entire upstream.  anaconda,
system-config-*, etc..  The source for the app and the translations are in
the same place, and this is a very good and useful thing.  Any strategy
around making translations better needs to have a goal of keeping the
translation source and the application source in the same SCM.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora