VNC development plan - discuss

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 17:48:44 UTC 2007

> On 3/6/07, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
> >         Basically, the problem is that Vino just scrapes the contents of the
> > root window and exports that. So, if the screensaver is rendering to the
> > root window, then there's not much Vino can do.
>
> How does vino behave when fast user switching is on.
> Say I log into computer as user foo from local display, turn on vino,
> then walk away
> to a remote computer and activate the vnc session.
>
> User bar comes along and does a fast user switch to login to their
> account while local display is active, and user foo is still connected
> on it remotely via vino but inactive.
>
> What happens to user foo's  vino session? Does it now display user
> bar's desktop? I'm sort of concerned.

	I dunno, I haven't looked at user switching lately. davidz might
know ...

	I'm guessing user bar gets a new Xserver, and the screensaver runs on
user foo's Xserver ... so someone connected to user foo's session over
vino might see the screensaver.

	Not really sure, since the screensaver probably locks the display, you
might just see the last thing on the screen before the screensaver ran.
But then again, AFAIR Vino makes itself impervious to X display locking,
so you might see the screensaver. Or maybe not.

	You could install test2 and give it a poke ...

> -jef"I really really really need to find the time to install a test2
> instance and poke"spaleta

Cheers,
Mark.