A few ideas.

Francois Aucamp faucamp at csir.co.za
Thu Mar 8 08:04:24 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 12:42 +0530, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
> Even then:
>
> a. Why is this not the default behaviour? Is it not natural enough for
> people to maintain a cache locally, that -C should be the default
> behaviour?

This is natural assuming you have prior experience with apt-get. From
personal experience I can say that a _lot_ of people do not fully
understand/like the "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" dance.

They just want one command, and everything should be done for them. The
standard yum update fulfills this need.

Even on some of the Debian systems, some people seem to forget to run
apt-get update, and then complain about apt-get install not working
properly... Personally, I'm inclined to agree with you, but I've seen
the opposite way too much to believe it should be implemented.

Cheers,
-Francois

views of the CSIR.

CSIR E-mail Legal Notice