yum-deltarpm (Was Thread Hijack - Our package management GUI tools need improvement)

Ahmed Kamal email.ahmedkamal at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 9 21:44:35 UTC 2007

The idea of using metadata to conclude whether/not drpm reconstruction will
be successful, is possible. This metadata is called a sequence number "SEQ"
for some reason. However, at this time, I have not integrated code for that.
The current code blindly tries downloading and fails with a 404. Integrating
metadata is listed on the TODO on presto page, and it shouldn't be too
difficult anyway. However, since drpms are usually too small compared to
their comparative rpm, and since in almost all cases on disk files are not
going to be corrupt, I did not see much value in using this kind of
metadata.

The drpm generator script does keep drpms on the server only if they are
worth keeping. The worthfulness numbers, of course can be tuned later. I
even think it might be a good idea to make worthfulness depend linearly on
the new rpm size. i.e. keep drpms for large rpms, even if savings are not
that great. We are however getting very good savings on large packages
anyway

My main focus now is on testing and making sure the "base" system is working
as it should. Any ideas about that regression system? Do you think it's a
good idea? I'm not primarily into coding, so I'll need help making sound
decisions. I'm thinking of having a full FC6 install, then using drpms to
upgrade that into *-testing, that should give us some nice reports for how
many upgrades/reconstructions are failing. We'll probably need some server
to host the drpms on, plus the test client.