yum-deltarpm (Was Thread Hijack - Our package management GUI tools need improvement)

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 08:56:50 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 07:55 +0100, David Nielsen wrote:
> Do we know how many packages on average that would apply to, it seems to
> me that unless this actually saves us bandwidth in general cases rather
> than just OpenOffice.org (which is big and hideous by nature) then it
> might not be worth it for anything but cool value.
>
> Has this been tried on something like the FC6 updates? Additionally what
> are the impacts client side of doing this, I assume a certain overhead
> in stitching the packages together is present.
>
> Aside that the idea sounds really neat and once it's ready for testing
> I'd love to give it a go.
>
> - David Nielsen

I have a local repository with all of Core + some Extras + some Livna +
some FreshRPMS in it.

If someone had installed everything from my repository when I first
created it, and then had do an update to the latest version of
everything, they would have to download ~1.5 GB of updates.

If that same person had the yum-deltarpm plugin enabled, they would only
have to download 638 MB.  That is *including* all the updates that don't
have drpms because the savings isn't enough.

That means that we're looking at a savings of roughly 60%.

As for the rpm rebuild time, it's not that bad.  Most of the time seems
to be reading the data from the hard drive.

Hope that answers your questions.

Jonathan