Problem with /sbin/weak-modules

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Sun Mar 11 16:45:58 UTC 2007

Jon Masters wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>
>> The suggestion is to file a bug, but I know really know enough about
>> this component to do this, so thought I would fire off an email to
>> this list first ?
>
> I'm responsible for that script in Fedora, so feel free to send me email
> describing what exactly is going right/wrong and I'll help diagnose.

Oh, I see what's happening:

* You didn't upgrade to a newer kernel module, but expected weak-modules
to make a symlink.

* weak-modules logic has broken with the change in kernel numbering.

Correct?

If this is all that's at fault, it's probably a simple logic problem
that I can fix tomorrow when I get a chance to look at it - but if you
think I should know anything else, drop me a line.

FWIW, weak-modules will go away in a future Fedora. The plan is to
replace it with a much more comprehensive online driver update tool that
will do a lot more than just create symlinks - more information when I
have an example to share... :-)

Jon.