yum-deltarpm (Was Thread Hijack - Our package management GUI tools need improvement)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 18:01:14 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 17:12 +0000, Naheem Zaffar wrote:
> On 3/11/07, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Could the efficiency threshold be > 50% and drpm is larger than a
> > certain size?  This is because it is pointless to have drpms of tiny
> > packages.  What exact threshold size however I don't know.
> >

> Woud that not cause problems? If say the original rpm is 50 MB, the
> drpm say 0.1MB because only a few small files were changed, having a
> minimum size may force the download of the full rpm.
>
> If you had efficiency threashold at >50% and size of ORIGINAL rpm
> larger than a certain size (say 1 meg? 10 megs? that would be up to
> whoever is doing the work and not me, a lurker), it could work.

Another metric could simply be absolute size of the difference.  If a
major openoffice.org-core update was only a 25% savings, that would
still be about 25MB of data.

I suppose some of this depends on whether you're tuning this to be
better for bandwith or diskspace.  End users will be very happy to
download 25MB less data.  Mirrors would have to host an extra 75MB of
data on their disks.

-Toshio