speed of yum depsolver

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Mon Mar 12 16:19:00 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 17:13 +0100, Tomas Janousek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 02:25:27PM +0100, dragoran wrote:
> > yum now uses its own depsolver instead of rpmlib which is slower. I know
> > that its planned to make it working first befor starting to optimize it.
>
> Is it possible to turn it off and use the old one? It just cancelled it after
> it had been running for four hours, hoping I'll be able to use the old one,
> because this is just ridiculous. I wonder how apt-get does it, it's able to
> give me the list of updated/installed/whatever packages in less than a minute
> on a 32MB RAM Celeron 233MHz box and yum needs more than 4 hours on 256MB RAM
> vmware on dualcore Pentium on 3Ghz?

I'm getting a little annoyed at this conversation.

Apparently it is not acceptable for things to be not-working or
less-good in rawhide. Apparently, we have to go from one working state
to another perfectly working state w/o passing through any situation in
which it is not as functional.

We told everyone up front that what is going on right now is slower and
larger while we work on getting it right and yet that doesn't seem to
stop the useless bitching and moaning w/o any offers of help at all.

-sv