KDE-Live-CD: basic cd layout and localizations

Sebastian Vahl ml at deadbabylon.de
Wed Mar 14 19:19:33 UTC 2007

Am Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:48:25 +0000 (UTC)
schrieb Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>:

> Sebastian Vahl <ml <at> deadbabylon.de> writes:
> > 3. removed krusader to free some space for localizations (new size
> > of basic layout is about 657 MB).
>
> Isn't there enough room already? Pretty much all CD-Rs these days are
> 700 MB, at least around here (Austria). In fact, there are even ones
> with 800 MB or more, though these are more expensive and don't comply
> with the CD-R standard, so relying on these is probably not a good
> idea, but 700 MB should be fine.

That's because every time I create an iso the size is different (see
also [1]). The german version was between 672 Mb to 697 MB. And the
german version don't need additional font packages (although
kde-i18n-German ist one of the biggest). If there would be enough space
after testing all languages, krusader (or other packages) could be
reincluded. And I've picked krusader because there is already konqueror.
I agree with you not using 800 MB CD-Rs. 700 MB should be the limit
(for all languages we would support).

> As for the keyboard layout for the German LiveCD, why -nodeadkeys?
> That makes it harder to type foreign (e.g. French) characters, and it
> is not what that well-known proprietary operating system uses either.

Just because I use it myself and never had problems with it (not
speaking or writing french or others). :)
I will change this to de-latin1 in next version. Thanks for pointing me
to this.

Sebastian