RANDR 1.2 heads up

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Thu Mar 15 00:12:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 16:35 +0100, Tomas Janousek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 11:09:34AM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > The display size is limited at server startup, because XAA's memory
> > allocator is spectacularly bad.  I don't know if there's a good
> > workaround for this.  Try setting a Virtual size in the Screen section
> > of xorg.conf?
>
> Yeah, you have to use Virtual to specify the maximum size. It may not be
> possible to specify more than 2048xSomething though, because some chips are
> limited (at least I read this on some xorg maillist). I just ended up aligning
> the screens vertically, but it may not be comfortable.
>
> Regarding the 1920x1200 resolution, did you specify that Monitor-VGA option in
> the device section?
>
> --
> TJ., BaseOS, Brno, CZ

I did have some luck with this after setting a virtual size. I was able
to add the external panel on the fly. Unfortunately I lose direct
rendering with the virtual size set to 3200x1200:

(EE) intel(0): Cannot support DRI with frame buffer width > 2048.

In theory, isn't the driver supposed to allocate as much shared memory
as it needs? (i945 hardware). Is this something that will get fixed or a
limitation of the hardware?

As well as X now works, the desktop will need to catch up. After
enabling the external monitor set to right of my laptop screen, my
panels jump to the external monitor. After disabling the external
monitor panels jump back to laptop screen but with no gravity on the
panel, my icons get all messed up because the external monitor is much
larger. I think I saw somewhere they're talking about adding gravity to
the gnome panel in the next version.

Regardless, this is exciting stuff....

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |