disabling warn_unused_result attribute with FORTIFY_SOURCE?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Mar 15 02:30:20 UTC 2007

My google-fu is failing me; I can't find any documentation on this.
Apparently, building with -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 results in the
warn_unused_result attribute being added to every (? or maybe just many)
fuction. In turn, this makes many perfectly good programs spit out hundreds
of warnings. I'm not sure this is necessarily good.

Unlike other warnings, though, there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it
off. Is there one I'm missing?

I'd like to clean up all the real errors and turn on -Werror....