User directories integration - request for help

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Mar 15 14:18:28 UTC 2007

Le Jeu 15 mars 2007 13:57, Dimi Paun a écrit :

> On Thu, March 15, 2007 09:46, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> I don't know, a PNG or JPG to open/save with GIMP may be expected in
>> PICTURES but XCF is more likely to go in DOCUMENTS.
>> And probably the same for Inkscape: SVG is a document and PNG a picture.
>
> Not necessarily. IMO PICTURES/DOCUMENTS is not to be decided blindly
> on the extension of the file, that's useless, but rather on the
> intended use for the file.
>
> In other words, it seems to me that PICTURES should really hold things
> that qualify as photos.

IMHO PICTURES should be PHOTOS period. The file type is less important
that the usage pattern:
- everything that comes from the outside (mail, internet) -> DOWNLOAD
- files I work on -> DOCUMENTS
- static media content library -> MUSIC, PHOTOS, VIDEO

That means media editors look in DOCUMENTS, media players in MUSIC,
PHOTOS, VIDEO, and internet tools in DOWNLOAD

--
Nicolas Mailhot