what makes a package get i386 on x86_64?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Mar 15 21:38:46 UTC 2007

I vaguely remember it being something about having a -devel package?

I'm asking because Festival is currently built for both archs, and there's
really no reason. I've made it multiarch compatible (bug #228315), but
really, there's no good reason for it to be, since nothing links with it.

The only program that requires it, in fact, is gnome-speech, and that
communicates via a forked process. It's really meant to be used that way or
as a network server.

In fact, I'm not sure it's even terribly useful to ship a devel package for
this -- it's really not designed for things to be built against it in that
way. You can add modules, but the intended process is to build them as part
of the main package build. (Arguably the speech-tools libraries could be
split off into a completely separate package and then festival built against
_those_ devel packages, but the festival build process wants an incestuous
sort of availability of the speech-tools source tree, so that's not really
an option.) So if ditching the devel package is what it takes....